Last Sunday Nancy and I rushed to Salem, OR to say “so long” to a former pastor, mentor and BNN director, Carl Hill. He died recently at 97. We arrived after the service started, got a chance to meet many old friends and greet his wife. He was our pastor while we were at Corban and later was an encouragement when our church started. We thank the Lord for allowing us to know him.
Then we headed to the “sea” at Cannon Beach. Paul Hayes, Chris Rogers, Enriko Stigter, myself and our wives were there. Our team led music for the pastors and wives Refresh retreat. I met with our regional BNN council as we planned for future multi-church events as well as discuss our new building project. Our team also had strategic discussions with other leaders about how to help reach others for Christ in our region etc.. We also heard a series of messages by Pastor Bryan Hughes on Romans 8:28 that took us deeper into this amazing verse by looking at five important words in the verse. The fellowship time with many other folks in ministry was very encouraging as we visited, walked the beach, rode bikes or just rested.
This weekend our weekly “SALT” groups are multiplying to six groups. It is a good time to join one. S.A.L.T. stands for Saints Applying Living Truth. Here are five reasons you should consider attending a SALT group.
1. Because it will assist you in applying the truth of the morning message in a deeper way through a give and take discussion format where you can ask question or contribute application.
2. Because you will meet other believers and grow in the Lord together as you get to know each other better.
3. Because in the Bible the church met corporately in large groups as well as small. Act 2:46 Day by day continuing with one mind in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they were taking their meals together with gladness and sincerity of heart…
4. Because it is a place for families because young and old can mix and share in fellowship and prayer. Acts 2:42
5. Because it is a good place to bring guests who may be seeking but fear going to church.
Groups start the week of September 16 as listed below. Note that some have new name designations based on location changes. For the complete address and leader phone numbers check the bulletin front each week or look them up on the online Community directory. If you have not joined the community then this is a great time to do that by going to Community.DiscoveryBaptist.org
•Gig Harbor South (Mark Suko Home, Sunday, 6:15pm)
•Gig Harbor Central (Campbell or Porter Home, Sunday, 6:15pm)
•Peacock Hill (John Kerr Home, Monday, 6pm)
•Gig Harbor North (Willie Clark Home, Sunday, 6:15pm)
•Key Peninsula (Karman Storset Home, Sunday, 6:45pm)
•Burnham (Dann Ledwick Home, Thursday, 6:30pm)
S.A.L.T. refers to Saints Applying Living Truth as they become the salt of the earth.